Frequently Asked Questions
Am I able to have driving lessons in my own/family or friends car?
Under certain circumstances, customers may want to receive lessons in their own/family vehicle. This is a good idea where the car will be used for a Driver’s Test. It is also a good idea when a learner has a new car and wishes to familiarise themselves with it prior to licensing. Future Drivers School is able to offer customers training in their vehicle, provided the vehicle is registered, roadworthy and comprehensively insured.
Prior to any training being conducted in the customer’s vehicle, the instructor should inspect the vehicle for its road worthiness. The inspection should include, but is not limited to, a check of the following items;
- the registration label is valid, current, intact and displayed appropriately
- the vehicle is comprehensively insured and the customer’s insurance company is notified that it will be used by a driving instructor to conduct training in
- The tires:
- all indicators, headlights and brake lights are working
- seats and seat belts are in good working order and are not damaged or twisted
- any loose items in the cabin of the vehicle are stowed in the cargo (boot) area
- the windows and interior are clean
- the vehicle has sufficient petrol to last the course of the lesson (minimum requirement – a quarter of a tank)
Are automatic cars easier to drive?
Automatic cars are certainly easier to learn to drive in: there’s no need to think about gears, so learners are free to focus on mirrors, speed, other cars, pedestrians and all the rest.
But if you’re already used to a manual, you’ll notice some differences:
- On highways, there’s no real difference at all: staying in Drive is exactly the same as staying in top gear.
- In traffic jams, automatics are great. It’s nice not to have to shift between first and neutral over and over.
- When you’re parking, you might find the ‘creep’ feature useful. Or you might think it’s annoying.
- While overtaking, or going up/down hills or towing, some people find an automatic car doesn’t give them as much control as a manual. However, most older automatics have an ‘O/D’ (Overdrive) button* on the gearstick that gives the engine a bit more ‘oomph’. And most newer models are smart enough to know when the driver wants a bit more power, so they don’t need this button.
How do I book my driving test?
You go on Access NS website, Make payment online for the road test. Then you call the phone number provided to you with your payment receipt, and schedule your road test appointment. Our instructor can do it for you as well.
How many lessons will I need to learn to drive?
Driving lessons are about more than just passing your road test, they’re about developing drivers that have the skills and training to contribute to an attitude of safety and confidence on the road. Whether you’re a new driver learning the ropes for the first time, or an experienced driver looking for a refresher course, there’s a training program that’s been developed just for you.
But how many lessons should you take? How many hours should you put in? What type of driving lessons should you invest in?
In a world that’s perpetually focused on spending less and less time on important, experience-based learning, lessons and time behind the wheel are aspects of driving that shouldn’t be cut short. It depends from person to person. Based on our statistics,10 hours behind the wheel is enough for 90 percent of students. The rest 10 percent can buy extra hours as required.
Should I learn to drive in an automatic or manual car?
One of the most common questions facing new drivers is whether they should learn to drive in a manual or an automatic car. There are benefits and downsides to both choices, ranging from the speed at which you can learn, the cost of insurance, and what kind of car you’ll be able to drive in the future.
If you learn to drive an automatic, you will master the basics of driving faster than if you also had the added complexity of shifting gears.
If you learn to drive a manual, you will eventually have a better feel for many aspects of the car’s behavior.